Thursday, February 09, 2006

Detox through photosynthesis


Admittedly, the Super Bowl and its four days of utter excess and late night activity did a number on my body. On Monday morning, I could feel my organs protesting this abuse and looked to my "go-to" coffee pot to bail me out. Didn't work. I figured a long run and a good sweat would do the trick. I figured wrong. I tried some multi vitamins called "Mega Men" in hopes of feeling normal again. By Tuesday, the nausea, aches, sweats and general crapiness was overwhelming my thought process turning me into a whimpering "Mega Grump." I took a walk at lunch across the street to my favorite hidden Detroit gem inside the Guardian Building for some visual aesthetics. I noticed that a new juice bar had just opened up. I stumbled into the place with apparently the look of somebody needing sympathy and a miracle product. The very nice girl behind the counter offered both. She gave me a shot. Not the type of shot that caused this mess. Not even the shot involving needles and pudgy fingered nurses poking you in unmentionable places. She gave me a shot of Wheat Grass. She walked over to a large pot of what appeared to be her front lawn, cut a chunk of this lawn with shears and jammed the blades of grass into a contraption straight out of a Rube Goldberg museum. Out of this device came a bright green liquid that smelled like last summer's grass clippings. She wasn't kidding. This was definitely grass. Desperate, I took it down like a Mega Man.

Two hours later I not only felt better, I felt like I could run the marathon that afternoon. I'm not exaggerating. I felt great. This lead me to again consult my trusty research assistant Mr. Google to learn more about this foul smelling shot of sod. What I learned was amazing. I'll simply summarize the complete set of information. I encourage you to take a glance yourself here

In addition to a laundry list of vitamins and minerals that I can't pronounce or spell, there are four special components of wheat grass, which make it particularly valuable: (1) Superoxide Dismutase (SOD), (2) P4D1, (3)Muco-polysaccharides, and (4) Chlorophyll.

The first three are flat out scary. According to this research these proteins help rebuild damaged cells and studies suggest that it is an effective fighter of cancer and aging. All good things. The last, Chlorophyll, hasn't been an issue in my life since 5th grade science class. I can still remember choosing between the shades of green in my Crayola set to color the diagram of a giant weed going through photosynthesis. Chlorophyll, however, might just have saved my week. The health benefits of liquefied weeds fall into three main categories, purifying, anti-inflammatory, and renewal. Most importantly, it builds blood and cleanses parts of your body that have become toxic. Mainly my liver. On a day that started out with me struggling up the steps to my office, ended with a great 6 mile run. I'm crediting that nice girl's front lawn and will be keeping my eye out for similar vegetation in Vancouver.

2 Comments:

At 6:23 PM, Blogger TNTcoach Ken said...

Is that why I see so many cows running in these endurance events? Why not just try the hair of the dog!!!! Ouch, that would put you in that vicious cycle. I'm glad you've found the elusive fountain of running youth. We still have a long way to go and a lot of other ailments ahead of us.

 
At 11:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

patrick-make sure the liquid weed cocktails you've been taking survives the "doping" guidelines!
Send me some -I'm always aching!

love
your old man!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home