Friday, January 06, 2006

Stubborn Rocky


Now the doctor came in stinking of gin
And proceeded to lie on the table
He said Rocky you met your match
And Rocky said, doc it's only a scratch
And I'll be better, I'll be better doc as soon as I am able

--"Rocky Raccoon" - The Beatles

I hate to beat a dead horse about the recent "issues" with my legs, but the past couple training runs have got me thinking about whether stubbornness is such a good idea for runners. In the midst of these thoughts, McCartney began crooning his unfortunate tale of Rocky Raccoon (White Album) into my MP3 player. After his woman left him for another man, Rocky pig-headedly refused to accept his loss and swore revenge. He headed off to the local saloon, tossed back a few whiskies, and challenged his rival to a duel. But his rival had a quicker draw and got the best of the showdown. Even on his death bed, Rocky refused to accept his fate and stubbornly ignored his doctor's advice to admit defeat.

I'm not attempting to analogize Rocky's situation with my recent running issue, but there is a slight parallel to be made. Rocky's stubbornness lead to his demise. In any sport I've ever competed in, I've been reluctant to admit injury and risk being pulled from the competition. Admittingly, this stubbornness could similarly lead to my marathon demise. But in all of these sports I've had a coach, manager, referee or some other executive power who made the ultimate decision regarding me playing or sitting the bench with an injury. Never did I voluntarily take myself out of the game because of a "scratch." I understand, however, that these decisions were always made with my best interest in mind. With this sport, it's just me and my stinky feet that are deciding what's in my best interest. I have a feeling that Rocky Raccoon wouldn't have made it through the five month marathon training schedule. I'm keeping this in mind as I continue my own showdown with the hard concrete roads. I'll also continue to take care of my body so that I too don't meet my match.

4 Comments:

At 5:38 PM, Blogger Winter Sun said...

I just wanted to say how amazing i think what your doing is. I wish you all the best...and thank you...thank you for helping.

 
At 3:07 PM, Blogger TNTcoach Ken said...

I'm not sure what all of this means, but there will always be another marathon. You have to be able to listen to your body and make the appropriate adjustments. I personally had to drop out of my first marathon training program, and the rest is history.

 
At 3:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can personally vouch for Pat's stubbornness. During an uncivilized match of Broomball circa 1999 Pat broke his nose, or rather had his nose broken, after taking an uppercut (premeditated) from one of the Delton Boys. Though Pat was more than eager continue battle the referee, backed up by the local county sheriff, rejected Pat from further competition. It always hurts to lose a wing man.

As a side note - the K College Crew won their 3rd straight Gun Lake Winter Fest Broomball Championship that same year! Thanks for setting the tone Pat.

-McGuire

 
At 2:03 PM, Blogger PJR said...

McGuire, I still have a beef with that Delton guy. What you forgot to note is that we've been retired for 5 full years and now eligible for the Gun Lake Winterfest Broomball Hall of Fame. I'm thinking with your scoring stats you've a lock. There's no way Jamal is making it....the town would riot. You also forgot to disclose how my parent's learned of my busted nose. There was a front page story in the Kalamazoo Gazette about the Winterfest, that included an interview with me just after the incident. A family friend in Kalamazoo immediately called my mother to inquire about my health.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home