Monday, November 28, 2005

Frost Bitten Turkey




A brave foursome and over 4,000 crazy runners conquered the 2005 Detroit Turkey Trot. Three years ago my father and I started a tradition of running the annual 10k event through the heart of downtown Detroit. Old Man Rorai was on an Olympic-like training regiment to prepare for this years race. Taking the advice of the Run With Rorai blog, he even bought himself a pair of Winderwear to protect his....ugghhhhh.....you get my drift. Along with Pops, was my trusty training partner and underappreciated girlfriend. With a soon-to-be-physician beside him, Old Man Rorai felt assured that his health was in good hands........with frozen fingers. Finally to complete our foursome was the cagey running guru and father of my girlfriend "Pour Me Another" Walton who swore that the recipe for a successful Turkey Trot involved a pre-race pint of frothy porter and some barbecue. While this foursome ran, our secret weapon was working behind the scenes as the fifth member of our squad. "Bag Lady" Rorai thwarted tourists and lost suburbanites on the streets of Detroit to transport this foursome to the starting line in plenty of time, only to execute a truly veteran Detroit driving maneuver around the closed streets in order to greet us at the finish with refreshments and warm clothing.

After mile 3, my legs began to warm up and the icicles that were forming on my eye lids began to melt. By mile 4 I could actually feel my finger tips. To say it was cold is a huge misstatement. However, frigid temperatures and 30 mi/hr gusts of snow and wind couldn't keep 4,000 runners from trotting up Woodward Avenue and taking part in this great tradition. We were greeted by thousands of bundled-up spectators, law enforcement personnel, parade volunteers and even the early-to-party Lions tailgating contingency. I remembered getting bundled up as a kid and watching in awe as the giant baloons of Andy The Panda and Big Bird floated by the then-standing Hudson's department store. I traded my one-piece snow mobile suite and moon boots for a pair of Brooks Adrenaline running shoes, Adidas wind breaker and about 20 years, but Thanksgiving in Detroit remains a great time

This event further solidified my opinion that runners are a rare breed of athletes. Motivated not by a money, fame, publicity or even a pat on the back, these lunatics run every year through rain, sleet and snow. As I continue to meet runners throughout my training, I hope to learn more about why they do what they do. I suspect that each has a story, each has an inspiration. Based on the number of Team In Training gear I observed along the way, many are running to fight cancer. For me, this race is about family, friends and loved ones. Old Man Rorai has spent countless hours running curl routes, shagging fly balls, returning serves, and chasing rebounds, so that I could become a more successful athlete. While my athletic career is essentially over, I'm fortunate and appreciative that he's still there by my side helping me win another. Nice job old man! You'll be crossing the finish line in Vancouver with me.

We all crossed the finish line of the 10k in a very respectable time. I know for sure that we beat Santa Claus, Joey Harrington, a whole pack of wild turkeys, Tweetie Bird, and Homer Simpson. We were greeted by Coach Ken of Team in Training with an enthusiastic high five and words of encouragement. Thanks for your help, coach! a great day, a great race, and great people.

Now pass those mashed potatoes!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home