Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Martian Marathon and Ice Baths

I got a little taste of race day this past weekend. Team In Training participants, including myself, were permitted to run a training run during the Martian Marathon in Dearborn Heights. There I was able to experience the race-day environment while getting in an arduous 18 mile run. I've participated in distance races before, but forgot about the entire scene that unfolds prior to, during and after a race like this. I found the starting line by following the winding sea of humanity patiently waiting with their legs crossed for a port-a-pottie to open up. Maybe its nerves, or maybe its just over-hydration, but these events seem to motivate a simultaneous urge to empty bladders by the thousands of runners waiting for the start. I, on the other hand, am content with a strategically placed tree or shrub. The other thing I forgot, was the over-the-top eccentricities that many runners possess. Being that it was a martian-themed race, I saw everything from E.T. dolls pinned to shorts to giant inflatable martian hats. This was mixed together with men in hula skirts and even a woman dressed like a cow. Very strange, but made for some solid people watching and a diversion from my cranky knees

I finished the 18 miles with cheers at the finish line. All of the support on the side of the road really does give you that added push at the end. I finished strong and felt oddly good.......until I got back to the car. With a belly full of bagels and bananas that I hoarded like an animal before hibernation, I started to stiffen up. By the time I returned home, I knew I was in for some serious discomfort. Four hours later I walking with a solid limp and the sensation that each step would be my last. Of coarse this was followed by sufficient whining and sympathy seeking behavior. I continued my regular practice of ibuprofren popping and ice bag loving, to no avail. The next morning I decided to take drastic measures. I filled the bath tub with cold water, dumped a bag of ice in it, plunged my throbbing body into the water and made myself a marathon runner cocktail. This cocktail, however, was lacking a lime or an olive, but came with one howling human. After five minutes, the shock wore off and I was able to relax for 15 more minutes as I marinated in 40 degree liquid.

The next day I felt amazingly better. I was able to pop out of bed with minimal pain and grouchiness. I'm not sure if the ice bath was the cure-all, but I'm definitely planning on future arctic plunges.

5 Comments:

At 7:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too have used tree's becuase I was too drunk to make it to the bathroom.

Please don't make comments about anything "inflatable", I've been away from home for 3 monthes.

Was it homeless people cheering you at the end of your 18 miles?

Bagels and hoarded bananas aren't what should have made you "stiffen up", and the "cold ice bath" was for getting "JR." back to normal.
and speaking of "stiffen" please don't tell us anything more about doing something with any "throbbing" body part.
as always HAVE A NICE F-ING DAY
Love Dad

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger TNTcoach Ken said...

Ouch.....ice baths are too brutal for me. I typically use the nectar of the gods to relieve my aches and pains. You looked like you could have gone a few more miles. Way to go.

 
At 12:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Patrick, A dip in the warm Gulf waters off the shore of Mac Arthur beach should soothe and heal your aching body and knees. A full submerged "ice pack" seems to be cruel and unhuman punishment. Your father will take the swim in the Gulf for you on Friday.!! You will be making the "LONG RUN" in a few weeks. We will be thinking about you and cheering you on. Good luck. Love from your g'parents, Lew & Alice

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger PJR said...

Thanks Grandma for all your support!

 
At 3:19 PM, Blogger PJR said...

For the record, the anonymous comment posted above is not from my father. My uncle is just trying complete one of his many stages of therapy. The family wishes you well, Blake. Just leave your inflatable friends behind at Thanksgiving.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home