Friday, April 14, 2006

Surplus of Shoes


It is generally recommended by medical professionals and running gurus who have mentored me through my training that running shoes should be replaced when the odometer reaches 350-500 miles. With the amount of punishment the average runner inflicts on shoes, even the most expensive, technologically advanced running shoe breaks down. The cushioning in the mid-sole that absorbs the shock eventually becomes ineffective, usually before the rest of the shoe starts to show significant signs of wear.

Then I learned that these recommended mileage limits are also dependent upon the runners size. At just under 200 pounds, I am considered "large" to the unapologetic shoe designers and manufacturers. Therefore, my shoes will be lucky to reach 350 miles before my shins and knees start to absorb the shock and stress.

You can see above the end result of following this recommendation. None of these running shoes currently overwhelming my closet are more than a couple years old. Most of them, however, have entered a life of retirement because their meters all expired. These shoes, however, barely show any visual signs of age. Most didn't even get the chance to get dirty. None had the opportunity to wear to the point of my big toe busting out of the sole. This is what I've always expected to see when I finally give up on a pair of athletic shoes.

I bring this point up, because I'm having a difficult time simply discarding what looks to be a perfectly functional shoe. Therefore, in a fit of hard-headedness, I occasionally lace up a pair of retirees and give them another shot. Seldom are the medical professionals and running gurus wrong. Every bit of contact with the concrete shoots straight to my legs as a reminder that stubbornness and an affectionate relationship with running shoes are not positive attributes when training for a marathon. Instead, I'll keep buying a new pair every 3-4 months and watching the retirement community in my closet grow.

3 Comments:

At 12:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Patrick, This is your cousin Nick. We are in Venice and having alot of fun. I hope you have a good race. Good luck!

 
At 1:38 PM, Blogger TNTcoach Ken said...

Wow, that is a lot of footwear!! Welcome to the world of running. Since you’re an urban dweller, you don’t have the natural shoe progression of lawn-cutting pair, mud-walking pair, etc.. Some other options are to donate them to a worthy cause (after sending them through the washing machine a few times). I hope that you’ve chosen the pair that will propel you through the streets of Vancouver?

 
At 6:47 PM, Blogger PJR said...

Hi Nick! I temporarily hung up my tennis racquet in favor of a half dozen pairs of running shoes, but I plan on getting back on the court soon. Hopefully, next time we see each other we'll be able to play. Give my best to the rest of the family.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home