Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Countdown Begins


12 days and counting. Now that the bulk of my training is complete and my fundraising goal has been met, I can finally look ahead to the big day. I've started by studying the coarse map like Magellan on the high seas. I've plotted out each hill, each mile and determined when I'll take a sip of liquid and when I'll eat an energy gel. I've got my shoes, socks, hat, body glide, and vaseline ready to go. I've got just under two weeks to convince my body that this is going to be a good thing. A good friend and former college teammate of mine and now marathon veteran promised to give a "win one for the Gipper" pep talk via telephone. I'm even starting to research Vancouver culinary hot spots for our pre-game meal. This combined with the anticipation of well-needed vacation from work is overwhelming my thought process.

The above map is the Vancouver marathon coarse. As you'll see, it takes us through the heart of the city, through a very large park, and over a couple bridges. We cross the Burrard Bridge and its 100 ft ascent twice. I'm convinced that this will be the toughest part of the race. To make matters worse, I've been glaring at this bridge on a daily basis from a web cam. Some days I think it's actually taunting me. Regardless, I'll be prepared mentally at mile 17 and again at 23. Hopefully my legs will be in line.

3 Comments:

At 12:32 PM, Blogger TNTcoach Ken said...

LOL! You are going to do great. Remember you're one of the advanced students on the trip and may need to assist. I'll talk to you before you leave.

 
At 3:35 PM, Blogger Al Durham said...

You will do great. The Vancouver course looks very scenic and that should help the miles pass by. Not as "scenic" as running in the "D", but a nice change. Enjoy it and have fun!

 
At 5:26 AM, Blogger Motownrunner said...

Patrick, I've been reading your blog this morning. Thanks for the note you left in mine. You're a really good writer and OMG, I can't believe you actually took an ice water bath (or two). Woooo. Makes me cringe. Anyhow, thanks for putting this map up on here. I can't believe it hadn't occured to me to check one out earlier. I'm really looking forward to this marathon as well and to hang out in Vancouver!! Have a great week. Margarita

 

Post a Comment

<< Home