Monday, May 01, 2006

One Last Time

(View of Belle Isle Park)

(Scott Memorial Fountain - Belle Isle Park, Detroit, Michigan)

This past weekend my lovely training partner and I gave thanks to the ever-so-loyal Belle Isle park for permitting us to burn shoe rubber over its streets, trails, lawns and occasional sheets of ice for the past six months. We participated in the Belle Isle 5k to benefit the Nature Zoo and all the critters who have warmly welcomed us throughout this time. Shortly after the start of the extremely non-competitive run, I realized that I had never before run a 5k race. We quickly eased into our marathon pace on a very familiar stretch of the island. Without intent, we passed a few people. Then we passed a few more, then a whole pack of runners. In an unexpected way, this became quite fun. The past six months of training, I passed snow drifts, broken bottles, dead squirrels, grouchy geese, and the occasional bar patron stumbling to his car. Rarely did I pass other runners; never in race conditions. It became energizing, and by mile 2 I was at full stride at nearly two minutes faster than my marathon pace. I still kept passing. I finished at a full sprint after the last guy I passed took it personal and made sure I crossed the line looking at his back. 22 minutes seemed like just 2. I was winded, but I felt strong, felt confident, and felt good.

The fleet-footed philly at my side throughout my training placed 3rd out of all women and took home a medal. I'd like to think that the confidence and energy this day brought, was Belle Isle's own way of giving a little back to those who'd braved its winter winds and blistering cold for hours at a time. Sort of like a marathon runner's home court advantage. I doubt this will be the last time I ever visit Belle Isle, but it will be the last as a marathon rookie.

3 Comments:

At 7:44 AM, Blogger Brooke said...

What a beautiful fountain. Sounds like a great race.

 
At 10:33 AM, Blogger TNTcoach Ken said...

Okay Speedy, I’m glad you guys were able to truly enjoy the island. I truly believe you have come over to the dark side and will continue to challenge yourself with this running thang. You are truly ready for Vancouver, so stay focused and remember the real reason you started this journey.

 
At 2:41 PM, Blogger PJR said...

I'll keep my focus coach!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home